A History of Westfields Hospital & Clinic
The idea of a hospital for New Richmond had its inception at a post-war (WWII) planning meeting of the Kiwanis Club on May 15, 1945 when E.J. Cashman of Doughboy Mills (presently Domain Industries, Inc.) announced a gift of $50,000 to start the fund. A fund-raising campaign followed in January 1948 that raised $150,000 from the community. Over 2,000 people contributed to the campaign. (City population was only 2,886 in 1950). In addition, the Sisters of St. Joseph contributed $100,000 and agreed to provide operation and maintenance for the hospital. An additional $150,000 came from Hill Burton funds to expand health care availability to rural areas. In fact, Westfields Hospital & Clinic, then known as Holy Family Hospital, was the first hospital built in Wisconsin from Hill-Burton funds.
Construction began on March 31, 1949 on a hospital in New Richmond at the present location of the hospital at 535 Hospital Road. The first patients were admitted on January 2, 1950. In its first year 983 patients were admitted to the hospital.
Since that time numerous additions and improvements have been made and paid for through general operations of the hospital: In 1953 the first wing was added to the hospital to house a laundry facility and provide rooms for the resident chaplain Rev. Gallus Sherman.
On October 5, 1957, a 20-bed chronic disease-convalescent unit was added and dedicated. In the basement of this addition were rooms for the Physical Therapy department, conference classrooms and storage. Cost of the project was approximately $205,000 with funds obtained by public subscription, the Hill-Burton Act, the Ford Foundation Grant, and the Sisters of St. Joseph.
In 1962, a separate residence for the chaplain was completed. On May 11, 1969 a wing was added adjacent to the northwest wing, dedicated to the memory of George, Carrie B. and Dale B. Oakes, which housed the new X-ray and laboratory departments. $103,000 in funds for the project was obtained from the Oakes memorial trust fund and the remainder of the $150,000 required for the project was supplied from the hospital’s operating fund.
On April 20, 1978 ground breaking ceremonies were held for yet another wing, which moved the surgical, obstetrical and emergency room services to the west side of the building and added new medical surgical patient rooms. Funding for the project was completely self-supporting with no federal or state money involved. Bonds were sold to the public and a $50,000 donation from the Friday Foundation was received.
In 1986 Holy Family Hospital became part of the Carondelet Community Hospitals when the Sisters of St. Joseph, Superior Province, Superior, Wisc. joined the St. Paul Province of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Paul, Minn.
In 1987, the helipad was donated in memory of Lee Miller by his wife and family and in 1988 the entrance was upgraded and a canopy was added.
In 1994 Holy Family Hospital joined three other area hospitals to form St. Croix Valley Shared Services. Through this coordinated effort Heartland Home Care Network opened in January 1995 to provide hospice care, home health services and home infusion therapy to those in need in their homes.
With improvements in technology, more and more procedures are now possible through outpatient services. Patients look to the local hospital not only for treatment but also prevention and education.
In collaboration with the City of New Richmond, Holy Family Hospital expanded its services off-campus with a Wellness Center in 1995. The Wellness Center was located next door to the Friday Aquatic Center and was the fore-runner to today’s community fitness center, the New Richmond Area Centre. Holy Family Hospital continues its present support of community health programming through partner support of the Centre.
After ten years as home to Head Start, the former residence of the hospital chaplain was once again renovated in 1996 to include conference center space. The E. M. Drury conference center is home to many regularly scheduled health-related education classes and support groups.
On January 1, 1998, Holy Family Hospital acquired the management contract for the New Richmond Area Ambulance and Rescue Service.
On October 15, 1998 ground breaking ceremonies were held at The Deerfield, a new senior housing and assisted living community developed in partnership with Presbyterian Homes and Services. The Deerfield Commons began accepting residents for assisted living and memory care on September 1, 1999.
On July 26, 1999, Holy Family Hospital and HealthPartners announced an affiliation agreement. This agreement culminated a two-year discussion process that gave HealthPartners a Class B Member status and five percent minority ownership. The Sisters of St. Joseph Carondelet, St. Paul Province, retained 95 percent ownership of the Hospital.
The hospital also broke ground on a $13 million campus development program.
- In October 2000, the New Richmond Clinic moved on-campus providing a connected access between clinic and hospital services.
- In November 2001, Holy Family Hospital completed the facility renovation that offers state-of-the-art medical capabilities in a modern architecturally designed building.
Change of sponsorship – name changed to Westfields Hospital
In 2004, the Sisters of St. Joseph Carondelet announced their plan to transfer their interest in the hospital in order to focus on ministries more closely aligned with their long-range objectives.
On January 23, 2006 the transfer of interest in Holy Family Hospital from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ), St. Paul Province to HealthPartners was finalized. The hospital is a member of HealthPartners, but remains a separate entity and continues to have its own governing board with substantial representation from the hospital’s medical staff and the New Richmond community.
As part of the transfer agreement, Holy Family Hospital changed its name to Westfields Hospital on May 1, 2006.
On October 1, 2013 the New Richmond Clinic joined Westfields Hospital and HealthPartners. The clinic, which includes 17 providers specializing in family medicine, general surgery, OB/GYN and gastroenterology, was previously part of Western Wisconsin Medical Associates, S.C. It was founded in 1940 by Joseph Armstrong, M.D.